Position – Mechanical Systems Engineer
Company – Wabtec
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka, IN
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com .
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else’s life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Role Summary/Purpose –
The engineer will be responsible for the mechanical integration of locomotive systems and will own compliance with locomotive weight, balance and clearance. The engineer will develop system models, manage interfaces, allocate system and interface requirements to the subsystems, guide the subsystems through the execution of the design, and manage critical interfaces.
The engineer should have clear-thinking ability, good communication skills and experience with working on systems with high complexity. Accepted degrees include mechanical and systems engineering.
Essential Responsibilities –
- Collaborate with Product Management to define customer requirements
- Architect locomotive mechanical designs that meet or exceed customer constraints on weight, balance and clearance
- Conduct formal trade studies between contending concepts
- Create models for weight, balance and clearance for the locomotive
- Lead collaborative sessions between engineering and drafting to resolve mechanical interface issues
- Ensure viability and defend recommendations in design reviews
- Decompose system requirements and provide clear definition for subsystem consumption
- Define and control mechanical interfaces between subsystems
- Author and manage system design documentation
- Provide systems engineering leadership to teams working assigned projects
- Work closely with manufacturing to quickly address identified mechanical integration issues
- Lead the validation with manufacturing and the labs to ensure compliance with system requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in Mechanical or Systems Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience in a design environment
Desired Characteristics –
- Proficiency in the use of Unigraphics
- Experience in designing large, complex systems
- Breadth in locomotive systems and depth in a given locomotive subsystem
- Proven track record of delivering results and leading projects in a dynamic business environment
- Prior exposure to a manufacturing environment
- Strong project management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Effective team player and facilitator
- Customer-centric mindset
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.