Position – Mechanical Project Engineer
Company – GE Renewable Energy
Location – Chennai, Tamil Nadu, IN
Job Description Summary
GE Monitoring and Diagnostics, part of GE Grid Solutions, specializes in the design and manufacture of equipment for the electric utility industry and offers a comprehensive range of electrical transformer monitoring equipment. Our advanced technology provides critical condition monitoring equipment for high power electrical transformers, reducing unplanned outages and the risk of transformer failure by up to 80%. Our products are some of the best in the market and successfully used in over 90 countries worldwide. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences, and styles.
The successful candidate will be part of the Project engineering team, focusing on customer project execution. They will predominantly work with our bushing monitoring product, and MS3000 support from a design capacity on other products as required. The role offers a split of responsibilities covering project engineering duties (40%) and mechanical design (60%). The person must support and work along with the Global product line team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Analyse and assess customer requirements which have been submitted via a workflow form
- Participate in customer and stakeholder calls, to provide project status or seek clarifications
- Select suitable components from our archives, or design new components, while following necessary design processes
- Develop test specifications, conduct tests on prototypes, and capture the results
- Provide ‘hands on’ support with the assembly and review of first article
- Ensure designs meet and comply with all relevant quality and regulatory standards requested
- Create a Bill of Materials for the part or assembly, liaising with sourcing and suppliers
- Provide occasional support for production and customer related issues
- Ensure adherence to project deadlines as assigned by project manager.
- Completion of all assigned Tasks within the agreed Timeframe.
- Follow Best Practices of each Region.
- Support continuous improvement activities with the aim of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of project execution.
- Support root cause analysis activities with regards to product or performance issues.
- Ensure all designs meet the required standards.
- Bachelor of Engineering – Mechanical (or equivalent with experience)
- Proven experience in an industrial setting
- CAD experience – Solidworks , AutoCAD, with experience of creating detailed drawings, BOMs and specifications
- Competency in designing machined metal & sheet metal parts
- Strong communication skills with ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Experience working in the power/utilities industry
- Experience using FMEA, RCA, 8D tools
- Knowledge of Hydraulic/Pneumatic control Systems
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Design for Reliability (DFR) experience
- Demonstrate proficiency with PC business applications e.g. Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel and PowerPoint .
Eligibility Requirements :(Country Specific)
Must be willing to travel and work out of an office located in Ramnath Tower Gundy, near Chennai, India. and able to comply with all legal requirements to work in India.
Note: GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.*Disclosure of your Gender or Sexual orientation is completely Voluntary and not mandatory.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes