Position – Engineer Applications I
Company – Exterran
Location – India
Under general supervision is responsible for inside sales activities which include technical evaluation of customer specifications for gas compressor packages, proposal preparations, inside sales/customer service, and order entry.
Job Title: Engineer Application I
Reports To: Manager Eng./Proposal
Position Summary: U nder general supervision is responsible for inside sales activities which include technical evaluation of customer specifications for gas compressor packages, proposal preparations, inside sales/customer service, and order entry.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Able to meet deadlines, concurrently balancing multiple project priorities, develop the work and interface with others in a team environment
- Assists in resolution of field problems and warranty claims, assesses field and shop recommendations on unit design, and participates in implementing efficient corrections that reduce operational problems.
- Seeks guidance from more experienced applications engineers on technical issues related to preparation of proposals and evaluates equipment performance to assure the best application is met.
- Assures timely engineering effort is maintained by performing project engineering functions including vendor inquiry preparation, vendor bid analysis and vendor selection, prepare process and auxiliary system mechanical flow diagrams.
- Attend technical training and share information with other application engineers to increase the collective knowledge of the organization.
- Complies with Exterran P&T Engineering Standards and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of industry codes and standards, ASME, API, NEC, OSHA terms and guidelines.
- Confers with manufacturing and drafting to prepare design modifications as required.
- Coordinates with designers and other disciplines to conduct preliminary skid and plant layouts.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the processes or equipment offered by the company, possesses a broad understanding of the design/selection methods and calculations necessary to design or select the appropriate solution, and is capable of utilizing the various computer-assisted methods of performing the related tasks. Capable of check rating existing standard designs for new specific applications.
- Develops PFD’s and P&ID’s from origination to completion and understands control concepts and can specify effective control loops on P&IDs.
- Ensures process systems are designed and engineered to meet customer’s requirements in a technically efficient and commercially viable manner.
- Helps write and/or review operations and start-up manuals for projects.
- Organize process engineering and technical information into a written proposal package, including but not limited to: Process Descriptions, Simulation PFDs and HMBs, equipment lists, utility summaries, P&IDs and Data Sheets.
- Performs complex analyses of customer requirements to identify potential solutions to be offered by the company, both for the products produced by company or bought out for specific applications, and provides the appropriate process or equipment selection(s).
- Possesses a working knowledge of fluid dynamics and hydraulics. Develops line sizing for P&IDs to meet process and project hydraulic requirements. Maintains continuity in system pressure and temperatures.
- Provides engineering calculations for complete heat and material balances, line sizing for all systems, equipment sizing including hydraulic level specification, retention and settling times, PFD and P&ID development.
- Provides engineering to evaluate customer comments on approval drawings for technical and commercial content additions and supports each facility fabrication and shop questions during assembly of equipment.
- Read and interpret engineering data and customer specifications, including industry codes and specifications for valves, flanges, fittings, engineering layouts, etc.
- Some travel may be required to support customer inquiries, plant commissioning, start ups, PHAs, or HAZOPs.
- Supports the order entry process, participates in project hand off meetings and transitions sold process design / equipment selection to execution engineering.
- Basic understanding of design, specifying and selection of gas processing equipment (i.e. heat exchangers, separators, fractionation towers, pumps, turbo expanders, compressors, etc.). Performs engineering calculations to size equipment accordingly.
- Works with manufacturing during fabrication and provides support to field personnel during on-site field checkout and commissioning of equipment.
- Works with the drafters to assure that the drafting requirements and design intent of the project are met.
- Utilizes the appropriate resources to develop the most complex cost estimates, as required, in support of development of the company’s quotation
- Proactively seeks guidance and mentoring from more experienced application engineers.
- Requires employee to constantly type and use a computer and other office equipment, such as copier, printer, calendar, telephones, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant industry experience
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering
Required Experience & Skills
- Experience with packaging design, skid design, ASME – section 8 pressure vessel design.
- Experience with rating and sizing heat exchangers using HTRI.
- Extensive background and knowledge of process safety concepts.
- Hysys and Protreat experience.
- Experience developing P&ID’s.
- Experience with plant controls.
- 0 – 3 years experience in the design of gas processing and treating plants.
- Knowledge of industry codes.
Preferred Experience & Skills
Required Training & Certifications
- Professional Engineering License
Preferred Training & Certifications
May require employee to rarely climb stairs or ladders if visiting a worksite to inspect / verify equipment and must be able to maintain balance on stairs or ladders without assistance.
Must be able to communicate and respond to coworkers, customers, vendors, suppliers and emergency cues/alarms, in person and on the telephone, including use of mobile devices
Must be able to rarely lift at least #5 pounds
May require eventual work in outdoor conditions, including extreme heat, extreme cold, unairconditioned facility, snow, sandstorms, sun exposure, high elevation, tropic weather, etc.
May require work on loud environment
Must wear all required PPE, including fire-retardant clothing, helmets, face shields, hearing protection, safety goggles, steel-toed boots, as applicable.Position may require travel 5 % of the time.
Exterran Corporation (NYSE: EXTN) is a global systems and process company offering solutions in the oil, gas, water and power markets. We are a leader in natural gas processing and treatment, produced water treatment and compression products and services, providing critical midstream infrastructure solutions to customers throughout the world. Exterran Corporation is headquartered in Houston, Texas and operates in approximately 25 countries.
Exterran designs and commissions scalable solutions that quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively treat produced water for oil & gas production facilities. Our industry-leading technologies cover the full range of methods for removing oil, suspended and dissolved solids from produced water. We help clients achieve higher treatment efficiency, wider operating bands and lower capital and operational costs.