Position – Deputy Manager – Site Engineering
Company – BASF Asia Pacific
Location – Mangalore, Karnataka, IN
We are a leading chemical company, with the best teams developing intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. Our success as a company relies on the engagement of our employees. We encourage our employees to develop their strengths, and we recognize their achievements. For you, this means a wide variety of job roles, and exciting opportunities for learning and career development.
Objectives of the Position:
- As Project Manager / Engineering Manager monitor and control all activities through entire life cycle of an investment project from conceptualization to start up.
- Reports to steering committee, and is accountable for project safety, quality, cost, and schedule.
- Ensure compliance with required standards of EHS, Business ethics, Quality, Project Execution Plan and Strategy.
- Takes lead during early project phase to define and consolidate project requirements along with technology/operation team & other stakeholders.
- Responsible to lead a multi-discipline/ multi-function team, collaborate with multi-location virtual team including support functions.
- Efficient management of interfaces across projects executed within country / cross border execution.
- Active participation in Workgroups for development of tools & practices.
- Trainer for Technical training for site E & M personnel
- Handle MRSS (Maintenance & Reliability Support Services) work stream -optional
Depending on the requirement, he/she is require to work as PM+EM+CM / individual role based on the project size, complexity.
As Project Manager, responsible for development and implementation of project through stakeholder alignment on objectives/ project value drivers EHS, quality, business controls, cost, schedule) in cooperation with the Business unit and aligned per agreed priorities, until Project RFSU and handover to Project Operations Manager, support the Steering committee to steward project objectives .
- As Project Manager through planning, FEED, EPC / EPCm phases, responsible to
- Prepare and maintain project organization -manning plan, align roles & responsibilities.
- Prepare and maintain Project Execution plan/ strategies aligned with all stakeholders, track KPIs, assess and correct deviations as necessary
- Coordination of all project activities with extended project team including Owner’s team, EP Engineering and Construction Management resources, Contractors.
- Manage work break-down structure and change management as applicable, drive implementation in line with documented Project Execution Plan.
- Collaborate with other functions ( Site, OD Technology, Finance, Legal, Regional Direct & Indirect procurement, regional & global EHS, external consultants) for specific project delivery aspects (Permitting, IP, Contracts, Procurement, 3rd party engagement, construction and engineering EHS) as necessary.
- Oversee project cost and schedule controls, contract management to validate progress, invoices and payments.
- Support Engineering & Procurement execution plans through FEED & EPCm stages through participation in key engineering reviews, cost estimation, constructability review, project execution plan preparation, project safety plan, contracting strategy and WBS, contract preparations and evaluation of bids.
- Support Project Operations Manager through execution phase activities – construction, commissioning and start-up.
- Demonstrate Management commitment to construction safety through visible intervention and participation in site walkabouts, specific Tool box talks & JSAs; advise management on need for safety stand-down where necessary.
- Oversee quality assurance activities to ensure site delivery meets technical specifications/ acceptance criteria, quality plan / ITP, ensure adherence to quality plans/ KPIs, track closure of NCRs.
- Initiate and ensure team building of the Integrated Project team, disseminate expectations, targets/ goals, roles and responsibilities.
- Oversee overall Construction plan – pre-qualification, selection, mobilization and demobilization, risk identification/ monitoring/ align risk mitigation among stakeholders.
- Oversee Mechanical completion activities. Ensure sequence of activities and timely engagement of Discipline engineering specialists, SMEs and Start-up Team members, Thirds parties (including permitting authorities), contractor and package unit resources to ensure robust Mechanical Completion and associated documentation for handover to PoM & BU/ OD.
- Monitor, control, communicate functional interface input requirements – Site Best practices, VBE actions, Lessons Learnt.
- Support site audits through robust documentation and active participation – Construction, EHS, ZOK.
While working as Engineering Manager, responsible for development of project objectives/ project value drivers in cooperation with the Business unit, tracking of project objectives pre-FEED & FEED stages until Project appropriation, support the project manager in tracking project objectives during project execution.
- As Engineering Manager of Small Project thro pre-FEED, FEED & Detailed Engineering phases, responsible for
- Prepare and maintain the project organization, manning plan and staffing plan.
- coordination of engineering work between all involved disciplines and all engineering partners, sub- contractors or local design institutes.
- coordination of cost and schedule input basis through planning stage until appropriation.
- responsible to monitor and control functional costs, design change management, Engineering Partner & direct costs through until project is RFSU.
- Support Project Manager through execution phase activities – construction, commissioning and start-up.
- Verification that engineering services and purchased technical goods meet technical specifications/ acceptance criteria.
- Initiate and ensure proper team building of the engineering team.
- Responsible for overall engineering delivery plan – risk identification, monitor risk management plan, align risk mitigation among stakeholders.
- Monitor, control, communicate functional interface input requirements – Value Based Engineering, LLCP, Engg Quality.
- Align, manage & maintain functional competency, participate in cross-regional networks/ GEMS WGs for development of tools, workprocesses, best practices.
- Develop, maintain training materials for functional / workprocess training.
- Ensuring compliance with BASF’s SHE group directive, quality procedures, information protection guideline and compliance policy.
- Monitor Engineering Partner (EP/LDI) performance, manage EP’s or LDI’s KPI targets, provide regular performance feedback to KAM/ Steering committee and Regional Procurement
Minimum Education and Qualification Required for the Position:
- Education: Graduation in Engineering – preferred Chemical / Mechanical engineer
- Working Experience: 12 – 15 years
- Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Experienced Project cum Engineering Manager for Refining / Chemical / Petrochemical/ Oil & Gas Projects through development and execution phases, experience of having undergone at least three complete project cycles; Owner’s team experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with multi-engineering discipline staffed virtual teams on cross border projects.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-national Engineering Contractor resources.
- Demonstrated ability to manage risk, make calibrated decisions to mitigate and address technical issues.
- Working Knowledge of BASF’s capital project execution process & procedures preferred.
- Working knowledge/ experience in chemical process design preferred.
- Strong knowledge of engineering codes and standards, good engineering practices.
- Negotiation skills mandatory, Planning, scheduling skills mandatory,. cost engineering and project control skills preferred
Job Related preferable skills:
- Project management, Engineering management, Site management, construction management, exposure to contract management.
Soft skills :
Managing Diversity including diverse culture resourced teams, virtual team management, cross border and multi-function collaboration, effective communication thro face-to-face/ virtual presentations.