Position – Member R&D
Company – ZF
Location – Chennai, Tamil Nadu, IN
Location: Chennai, TN, IN, 631604
Req ID 39680 Chennai, India
TITLE: Mechanical Design Engineer – Steering
FUNCTION/BUSINESS UNIT/ENTERPRISE: Product Engineering
REPORTING TO: Product Engineering Team Leader
REPORTS: Not applicable
SCOPE AND IMPACT OF POSITION ON THE ORGANIZATION:
Pitman Arms/Steering Columns/Hydraulic Steering Gears/Hydraulic Pumps require support to maintain current product lines through Engineering Changes and new product releases for new customer applications.
- Support lead engineer in assessing customer & legal requirements, in identification of gaps and in translation into technical requirements
- Plan mechanical design tasks and support lead engineer in calculating development cost and timing
- Develop product concepts according to technical requirements and field experience
- Evaluate different concepts (own, competitors, suppliers) to find best cost option using DFA &
- Consider design rules & standards, foster standardization
- Incorporate technical calculations and simulations as well as test results in the design
- Define materials and production processes for new components in alignment with experts
- Initiate and follow-up patent analysis’ and identify ideas for own patents.
- Create prototype documentation & plan prototypes
- Perform & maintain Design FMEA, risk assessment, define SC, CC
- Instruct supporting personnel (e.g. draftsman)
- Create and change series documentation, maintain serial devices with respect to cost
- Maintain product with respect to quality and field claims
- Propose design changes to reduce cost
- Create and change series documentation, (drawings, Test Instruction, DFMEA etc)
- Support evaluation of product and tooling cost, follow up cost targets
- Interface and communicate with S&P and suppliers, M&L and other functions to ensure
- Simultaneous engineering for process and supplier development
- Prepare and participate in design reviews, share experience and knowledge
- Propose redesign ideas for cost reduction
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the area of Mechanical Design, preferably with an Automotive related company.
- Experience designing castings, machined parts, and complex assemblies.
- Knowledge in GD&T and complex tolerance stack-up analysis across multiple components.
- Extensive CREO 4.0 experience. Working knowledge in UG-NX. Windchill PLM and Work Group Manager Interface working knowledge preferred.
- Degree in Engineering
- Good knowledge about WABCO products and system functions
- Knowledge of CAD & PLM systems
- Fluent in English
- Literate in FMEA systematic and tools
- Mechanical concepts
- Technical product documentation (drawings, specifications, technical instructions, BOM etc.)
- Cost estimates
- Delivery of product documentation on time and in budget
- First time right, means no rework due to inappropriate designs vs. PDS
- Compliance to Design-to-Cost targets
- Cost reduction ideas
- Next generation concepts
- Central PE units
- Lead Engineers
- S&P, M&L, Claims
- Service Providers
LOCATION: Ambattur, Chennai – India
TRAVEL REQUIREMENT: 10%
Be part of our ZF team as Mechanical Design Engineer and apply now!