Position – Lead Engineer – Mechanical Component
Company – Wabtec
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka, IN
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com .
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else’s life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
- Responsible for the mechanical packaging design and thermal management of control and power electronics.
- Work closely with electronics hardware engineering to design, analyze, procure, manufacture, and test control and power electronics modules and assemblies.
- Lead and execute the validation and qualification of new electrical packaging equipment, components, and assemblies, with a focus on mechanical, thermal, and electrical functional tests.
- Integrate new electrical assemblies into higher-level equipment arrangements.
- Performing control cabinet sheet metal design with related equipment arrangements for control and high voltage power electronics. Lead the structural analysis of the structure and equipment arrangement contained therein.
- Support manufacturing and sourcing to achieve high levels of manufacturability and manage drawing and model updates to address issues or implement improvements.
- Responsible for defined work or projects with moderate to high complexity. Follow an individual work plan and meet day-to-day short-term objectives. Display the ability to resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning.
- Support multiple work assignments by establishing, maintaining, and working to proper priorities.
- Prepare and present technical data to internal and external customers.
- Document and communicate results of technical data generated.
- Participate in teams assigned to address specific organizational initiatives.
- Share information and promote open dialogue.
- Prepare invention disclosures to protect the technology that provides a competitive advantage to the business.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in the field of electronics mechanical packaging and thermal design.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency with:
- Designing printed circuit boards, supporting component layout, integrating mechanical design features for component support in a high vibration environment, and defining proper thermal features in the board to support heat conduction from the components to maintain proper operating temperatures.
- Designing mechanical enclosures and circuit board assemblies for shock and vibration loads.
- Designing and selecting components to support circuit board to chassis and circuit board to backplane connections.
- Design and selection of board-level mechanical components.
- Selection and integration of connectors and related components.
- Designing sheet metal enclosures for control and power electronic equipment arrangement. Knowledge of packaging requirements related to high voltage equipment.
- Designing cast and molded components.
- Design of machined and fabricated components.
- Experience with heat transfer through conduction, natural convection, and forced convection applications and related techniques for electronics.
- 3D CAD Modeling tools.
- Thermal simulation tools, such as Icepak.
- Finite element simulation tools for mechanical loads, such as Ansys.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time.
- Must be able to work in and around large pieces of ground transportation equipment, in a heavy industrial manufacturing setting, and in a heavy industrial laboratory environment.
- Must be able to set up instrumentation and test apparatus and conduct validation testing on large industrial transportation and mining vehicles.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- MS Mechanical Engineering degree.
- Proficient in Unigraphics, ANSYS, Icepak, CFD fluid, and thermal analysis skills, Matlab software tools
- Familiarity with power diodes and IGBT devices and packaging design considerations in large equipment inverter arrangements.
- Knowledge of voltage isolation and current conduction in bus bars, terminals, and connectors.
- Experience with air-cooled heat sink design and heat spreaders
- Experience with liquid cold plate design, liquid-cooled system design, and liquid-cooled system design for electronics thermal management
- Experience with heat pipe design, application, and simulation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistical analysis or Six Sigma certified.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.