Position – Functional Manager – Mechanical
Company – Schneider Electric
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka
About Schneider Electric
As a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, Schneider Electric offers integrated solutions across multiple market segments, including leadership positions in Utilities & Infrastructures, Industries & Machine Manufacturers, Non-residential Buildings, Data Centres & Networks and in Residential. Focused on making energy safe, reliable, efficient, productive and green, the Group’s 148,000 plus employees achieved sales of 27 Billion Euros, through an active commitment to help individuals and organizations make the most of their energy. Www.schneider-electric.com
The Secure Power Division is part of the Energy Management Business and it is one of Schneider Electric’s highly profitable activities, with a yearly revenue of about €3bn. It holds a leadership position in all served markets, through its offering of UPS, cooling, racks, power distribution units, and software products, as well as associated services. The Secure Power Division has a truly global presence and targets 3 main application areas – data centers, distributed IT, and commercial & industrial applications – with the offers of its 2 lines of business: Data Center Systems (DCS) and Home & Business Networks (HBN).
The Secure Power Division is an integral part of the Schneider Electric organization, collaborating strongly with other Divisions, the Operations regions, the Global Supply Chain, and the Services Business for its strategy and execution. With an extensive portfolio of Strategic Accounts, the Secure Power Division is uniquely positioned to leverage IT industry trends and drive business growth.
The position is based in Bangalore – India, reporting to R&D Director.
Architecting and leading the mechanical design strategy for single phase UPS, UPS systems, Storage Solutions, Li-Ion battery back-up technology with high competence in the below areas –
- Growth obsession for launching Best in Class products
- Talent grooming, talent hiring and retention
- Building and managing high performance team
- Heat transfer as applied to electronics cooling & thermal management of enclosers
- Sheet metal, die cast and plastic part design
- Design for manufacture, service and cost
- Tooling and manufacturing process design and qualification
- Robust mechanical product design including tolerance analysis, structural analysis
- Product design documentation including GDT
- Wiring and conductor design for low and high voltage
- Applicable Electrical certification and safety standards
- Technical specification writing
- Design for warranty and life
- Product safety and reliability
- Green packaging, knowledge of labels
- IP protection class know-how for design
- Implementation of Schneider product brand design & argonomy
Leading of mechanical design, test & validation of products including:
- Hands on implementation and prototyping
- Thermal and structural modeling and simulation
- Product and component testing and report writing
- Interaction with 3rd party test services
Coordinating interdependent work with other collaborative functions and teams, both local and international, including:
- Industrial Design (ID) , Marketing, Regulatory, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Service and Quality teams
Conducts WCA and FMEA analyses to evaluate reliability and ensure there are no product safety/liability concerns.
Support project planning activities by:
- Resource planning and resource management
- Estimating the scope of work using work break down structures following Project Management Processes (PMP)
- Ability to learn and keep abreast of related emerging technologies, strong execution skills and innovation mindset
Assist and lead the preparation and review of product manuals, application notes and service documents.
Provide leadership and technical guidance of staff members.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Product design expertise: Enclosure design with sheet metal, die cast and plastics parts
- Experience and good knowledge of designing enclosures for power electronics products to various environmental conditions (IP20, IP40, IP60, IP65, NEMA 4)
- Strong high volume product design knowledge .
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modeling using proengineer and/or Solidworks.
- Experience in defining DFM/DFA goals for new products.
- Good knowledge of the compliance and safety standards.
- Exposure to solar grid tie inverters is preferred but not mandatory.
Candidate must possess core values of Dare to Disrupt, Customer First, Embrace Different, Act Like Owners, Learn Every Day, Innovation Obsession, personal & professional ethics –
Who we are, our customer approach, how we do business, what it’s like to work here, and the kind of people we want to attract and retain. We care for our planet, our customers, our company, our team, and ourselves. We connect to customers and colleagues; we are open and respectful. We challenge others and embrace challenges ourselves. We commit to change by leading the change.
At Schneider Electric, because we value our employees, we offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision, pension plan, training and development opportunities and much more. Join Schneider Electric and together, let’s make the most of your energy!
- Any BE, ME/M.Tech, Ph.D
- Overall 10 -20 years of experience is required.