Position – ENGR PROJECT, MECHANICAL
Company – Rockwell Automation
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka
SUMMARY/SCOPE OF POSITION:
This Mechanical engineer role is responsible for packaging, component design and selection, thermal evaluations, agency certification, enhancements, quality improvements, and maintenance for Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) products and solutions across various industries. This opportunity enables the candidate to engage in complex engineering for packaged electrical solutions and to work directly with customers to meet their requirements and produce manufacturing-ready designs.
The Mechanical Engineer works closely with other cross-functional team members within the Integrated Drives Business (IDB) and across business units and reports to the IDB Engineering Manager.
- Under the direction of managers or project leaders, analyze and design standard and OEM products and Engineered-to-Order (ETO) orders for drive application solutions including enclosures, components, and assemblies.
- Optimize designs for a balance of cost and performance by incorporating standard and custom power and control components, cables, enclosures, and thermal management solutions into a packaged product.
- Cross-functional coordination from the development of conceptual designs through final fabrication and production implementation. Includes interfacing with Customers, Suppliers, Electrical Engineering, Development Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Assurance, Product Management, and Project Management.
- Develop detailed solution models, component drawings, assembly instructions, and other documentation as needed.
- Develop products and design documentation as specified by the development process and associated with the functional process requirements.
- Solve common and complex mechanical packaging challenges within established specifications and recommend appropriate alternatives.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable regulatory standards (UL, IEC).
- Create, modify, and review detailed drawings with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T). Follow the process to release them in SAP PLM using Change Request Forms.
- Develop and implement testing parameters and plans for new and existing designs including validation of tolerances, form/fit/function, shock and vibration, safety, and product robustness.
- Support prototype validation testing and product qualification testing.
- Support the Operations and Quality Assurance teams to resolve product manufacturing and test issues.
- Support RA field service and customers in the resolution of field application issues with respect to system design and product performance.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities for products and processes.
- Maintain designs of released products and support Continuing Engineering efforts throughout the product life cycle.
- Support company and IDB goals, objectives, and profitability.
- Ensures thorough familiarity with company policies and procedures.
Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 4-10 years of mechanical design experience with metal and plastic components and electronic assemblies & packaging.
- Proficiency with 3D CAD modeling software(s).
- Design for manufacture and assembly experience or demonstrated skill.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English including presentation skills.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 3D CAD Modeling with Pro-Engineer / Creo preferred.
- Knowledge of U.L. 508A, UL 61800-5-1, CE, and other global standards.
- Experience designing solutions incorporating VFDs.
- Experience conducting failure analysis and defining corrective actions.
- Experience creating, modifying, and reviewing detailed drawings with GD&T.
- Knowledgeable of design and fabrication of steel enclosures, busbars, sheet metal/plastics.
- Knowledgeable of production tooling and processes.