Position – Test Engineer (R&D)
Company – Newell Brands
Location – Chennai, Tamil Nadu, IN
The Test Engineer will require an ambitious, motivated individual in the Research and Development (R&D) Test Lab Department. This position will:
- Interface directly with personnel from all levels of Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory Affairs, Program Management, Research and Development, Marketing, and Materials Management
- Demonstrate a high level of technical expertise and judgment in evaluating complex issues and developing innovative solutions
- Maintain the ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere
- Exhibit a strong sense of urgency and be aggressive and driven to succeed and overcome all obstacles, while maintaining a positive team environment
- Identifies cost and risks at the component and sub-assembly level to meet defined cost targets.
- Develops the analysis of how sub-assembly level decisions impact the overall business strategy to facilitate design-for-cost.
- Provides routine engineering, working autonomously on project teams with little to no guidance from more Senior Engineers to deliver well-engineered products.
- Reviews relevant competitive products to provide benchmarking and analysis of technical specifications.
- Implements existing technologies on a project level to deliver products.
- Uses a disciplined approach and the appropriate methodology to analyze and determine the preferred solution to technical challenges.
- Analyzes test results to provide data for use in solving problems.
- Develops optimal product test plans to validate design.
- Summarizes complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience to gain alignment.
- Recommends and presents solutions and opportunities in forums to encourage ideation and technical sharing.
- Generates questions to validate the understanding of the subject matter to facilitate team member understanding.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to work seamlessly across disciplines as required to execute product initiatives.
- Incorporates consumer and market insights to drive innovation and project execution.
- Develops test methods and documentation and applies automation to testing new products wherever possible.
- Investigates existing testing methods to ensure consumer relevancy and scientific basis.
- Reviews incoming test requests for completeness and compares to product performance standards to identify any inconsistencies or ambiguities and resolves issues with requestor prior to initiating testing.
- Tracks metrics to test lab performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology, or related field required
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience required (Consumer products experience preferred)
- Demonstrates knowledge of PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) or similar
- Demonstrates strong communication, organizational, problem solving skills and multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrates Testing skills – Metrology (CMM), Mechanical testing (UTM etc)
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Rubbermaid, FoodSaver, Calphalon, Sistema, Sharpie, Paper Mate, Dymo, EXPO, Elmer’s, Yankee Candle, Graco, NUK, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Spontex, Coleman, Campingaz, Oster, Sunbeam and Mr. Coffee. Newell Brands’ beloved, planet friendly brands enhance and brighten consumers lives at home and outside by creating moments of joy, building confidence and providing peace of mind.