Position – India GIC – Senior Design Engineer
Company – General Mills
Location – Powai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
India Foods Business is a full-service manufacturing and marketing unit comprising over 500 employees spread across over multiple locations across India. Our strong suite of products includes the Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, Haagen-Dazs and Nature Valley brands in both direct-to-consumer and B2B channels across Retail, Food Service and Bakeries & Exports. We combine the capabilities of a global enterprise with the entrepreneurial spirit and cultural awareness you would expect of a smaller local company.Job Description:
The machine design group is responsible for design, delivery and life cycle cost improvement of proprietary equipment for General Mills. Designers in the group provide competitive advantage through technical leadership, flexible business solutions and deep equipment technology understanding. The machine design group supports R&D, engineering capital projects, joint ventures, and global manufacturing locations by delivering food and human safety solutions, HMM, technology innovation, and maintenance and reliability expertise
90% of Time
- Work closely with other General Mills engineering functions, such as R&D, PSD, Process, and Packaging engineering to enable new products and innovative equipment solutions.
- Demonstrate technical excellence and solid engineering analysis (including hand calculations, FEA, and fundamental engineering knowledge) to ensure reliability.
- Generate new equipment designs, requirements, size equipment, estimate costs, create models, assemblies, and detail drawings, support check-out, and start-up.
- Lead and assure safety for all equipment designs.
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to advance proprietary equipment designs and propagate improvements across plants and platforms.
- Build strong relationships with General Mills teams to support capital and R&D projects.
- Leverage internal and external firms’ expertise in equipment design and fabrication.
- Understand General Mills’ business environment and play to win in the machine design space through innovation, reliability, and right fitness equipment options.
- Drive competitive advantage with innovation and leverage industry advancements in designs.
- Participate in the General Mills intellectual property process.
- Consult with plant operations, joint ventures, and the technical community on innovative ways to improve existing machine performance with an emphasis on safety and productivity.
- Lead and participate in design reviews, use feedback to address the needs of stakeholders.
- Continue to grow skillset through experience, the community of practice, training and mentorship.
- Utilize established CAD standards and department design procedures.
10% of Time
Perform as a Subject Matter Expert
- Coach and mentor other engineers on the team as well as plant employees
- Work effectively in a cross-cultural virtual team using influence and collaboration
- Create, maintain and adhere to process documentation and strive for continuous improvement
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Mechanical aptitude to understand mechanisms and movement of mechanical systems
- Machine design experience including specification of bearings, drive train components and design of fabricated components for proper fit and function.
- SolidWorks experience, including knowledge of SolidWorks explorer, sheet metal, toolbox, weldments and an understanding of bills of material. SolidWorks certification is desired, but not required.
- Materials knowledge (corrosion properties, failure mechanisms, strength of materials, and heat treatments – particularly for stainless steels) is required
- Experience with Microsoft Office and optimization tools is desirable
- Project management skills – the demonstrated ability to manage scope, schedule, and cost are desired.
- Knowledge of machine level controls and instrumentation is desired.
- Experience with Adept PDM system is desired
Competencies/Behaviors required for job:
- Leads Innovation: Identify and recommend opportunities, solutions and need for change. Adapt quickly and respond effectively to change. Explore and share innovative best practices with others.
- Deliver Results: Assume personal initiative and accountability for results, performance and behaviors. Be comfortable with ambiguity. Engage in cross functional collaboration to identify innovative solutions and optimization.
- Connect the Best Together: Negotiate solutions between stakeholders and effectively communicate with various levels and functions through-out the organization. Clearly articulate views in written and verbal discussions.
- Integrity and Candor: Engenders Trust at all levels and demonstrates unquestionable integrity.
Company Overview:We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.