Position – Lead Engineer- Composite Mechanics
Company – General Electric
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka
Job Description Summary
Activities contributing to the design and development of Wind Turbine Blade Component products, solutions and systems. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components Responsible for departmental operations planning/execution or is focused on execution of professional activities within a technical discipline. Functions with some autonomy but guided by established policies or review of end results.
The job allows modification of procedures and practices covering work as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (quality, volume, timeliness etc.).
We are looking for an Experienced Engineer for our Wind Turbine Blade Component Design Team under Engineering & Technology Function. Together with a team of highly dedicated experts, you will be engaged in a variety of areas related to wind turbine blade design. In this role, you will focus on developing blade technology reaching across all parts of the blade. You will be organized into component subareas where you for a period of time will specialize in a specific part of the blade. You will help ensure that the component can fulfill the needs of the customer. Typically this means that the component needs to be lightweight and strong. At the same time, production methods and processes need to be thought into the design.
You will play a key role in the development, qualification, and implementation of new component technologies in an environment, where there is a short distance between the concept stage and production tests. You will be working cross-functionally with colleagues among Engineering, Sourcing, Supplier Quality, and Operations across the globe as well as external suppliers and supporting technical sales.
Roles and Responsibilities
You will spend a lot of time on mechanical analyses, failure mode analyses, and designing test methods to characterize and drive down risks on new technology. You will define design and process requirements ensuring the quality and reliability of components for a lifetime in operation. You will also spend time on the shop floor improving, and implementing processes, helping our main customer – the blade factories.
- Holds a mechanical engineering degree and has good skills in structural mechanics, solid mechanics.
- Has more than five years of experience from a similar function (e.g. within polymer or composites engineering)
- Proficient in finite element analysis, analytical mechanics as well as mechanical testing of materials and components.
- Experience within coating materials (e.g. gel-coat and leading-edge protection)
- Has an analytical/scientific mindset combined with a pragmatic hands-on mentality
- Is familiar with disciplines such as fracture mechanics, rain erosion, buckling instability, mechanical testing, and failure of laminate and sandwich structures
- Experience in statistics related to testing and knowledge of LEAN and Six Sigma methodology
- Has good English language skills (written and oral)
- Is a dedicated team player, capable of working in multi-cultural teams
- Is an excellent communicator between various stakeholders of different functions and cultures
- Is flexible, energetic, curious, and outgoing
- English is our corporate language, and we expect that you have a high level, both in written and spoken English. As a person, you are a team player who will always consider the bigger picture, you take responsibility, and you set high-quality standards in your own work. You can work in a structured way and are able to complete tasks independently and on time. Career prospects offer a challenging position in an international organization of professional and highly qualified colleagues and leaders, where you will have great opportunities to gain experience and grow. For the right applicant, the job offers possibilities for career progression and personal development. You can expect travel of around 20-30 days per year.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No