Position – Simulation Senior Associate Engineer
Company – Caterpillar
Location – Chennai, Tamil Nadu
JOB PURPOSE: To serve as an experienced, individual contributor on projects and assignments that are complex in nature and that support and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
Virtual Product Development (Simulation) division in India comprising a group of 150+ highly educated and talented engineers functioning from multiple locations in line with corporate global footprint strategy and providing simulation support to Caterpillar’s global business units in Structural, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Engine and Machine Performance Simulation, etc. areas.
JOB-RELATED STATISTICS: Experienced individual contributor with ability to develop and perform complex simulations individually and/or in a team environment with accountability on quality, velocity, cost and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
JOB DUTIES: This position represents the journey level position for engineering related functions. This person has built significant technical experience. The key role of a Sr. Associate Engineer – Performance / Simulation / Application is that of an individual contributor or as part of a project team, with the increasing emphasis on analyzing, identifying, and applying engineering techniques for product development and to solve structural durability related engineering problems and make recommendations.
The major focus of the job is on technical delivery, incumbents may work more directly with different cross-functional teams, suppliers, customers, and begin enhancing general and business skills. This requires the ability to communicate technical information in a concise and accurate manner. Decisions may significantly impact product performance, durability, quality, reliability, and serviceability.
Major challenges facing incumbents are meeting goals for cost, reliability, and performance, and managing multiple priorities. This position must keep up-to-date on changing customer needs as the project progresses, stay current with new technology, and responsible for the completion of the project with a major focus on delivery.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: evaluate products and processes; perform a needs analysis and initiate ideas; perform product maintenance; keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies; communicate technical information to dealers, customers, team members, suppliers, and other units; support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, dealers, customers, and suppliers; and develop and maintain a keen understanding of internal and external customers’ needs.
The Sr. Associate Engineer – Performance/Simulation/Application must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key skills to be developed at this level are data extraction/analysis, failure root cause analysis and problem solving, application of simulation tools and methods, and practical application of theory and concepts.
The successful candidate for this Senior Associate Engineer position must have a Post Graduate degree from a reputed institution, in an accredited Engineering curriculum (Mechanical/Design/Automobile/Aerospace) plus 4+ years of structural simulation experience related to product development/validation. He/she will be part of the Core Engines Structural Simulation team (CESCOE) which performs virtual validation related to the structural durability of Caterpillar engines.
Incumbents must have demonstrated technical/analysis competency related to
- Structural durability of Mechanical Systems/powertrain components, fatigue life predictions using robust simulation models.
- Good understanding of Fatigue assessment techniques (LCF/HCF).
- Sound knowledge and experience in performing Thermal/Structural Fatigue analysis.
- Experience in using FEA tools like Abaqus/Ansys/FE-Safe/Optistruct/Tosca/Insight etc for solving complex non-linear FEA, Multiphysics simulations related to structural durability.
- Engine and Powertrain system functional/design knowledge of engine cylinder Head / Block / Liner / piston / Valvetrain / Connecting rod / crankshaft / flywheel and other engine mounted structures.
- Experience as an individual contributor in performing complex validation projects/programs.
Preferred Non-Technical Skills:
- Requires a self-starter with strong technical skills
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to perform complex tasks
- Must have the ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the workgroup
- Demonstrated excellent judgment and decision-making ability
- Demonstrated ability to independently solve problems
- Excellent Teamwork and collaboration skills