Position – Packaging Engineer II
Company – Caterpillar
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka, IN
This position designs and develops returnable and expendable packaging for individual piece parts and bulk shipping to ensure the timely and efficient receipt and delivery of material. Proper packaging design includes part containment, protection, and optimization of transportation and other supply chain functions.
Deliver on cost targets set by customer or process partner.
- Establish packaging and processing specifications at the part number level for new product introductions, cost savings, or other supply chain improvements.
- Communicate with existing facilities on packaging issues related to receiving, warehousing, and/or line-side delivery.
- Perform cost analysis on current packaging processes and recommend changes where appropriate.
- Lead low-risk Green Belt projects.
- Perform activities to ensure parts are protected, shipped, and delivered to the customer in a usable fashion.
Key duties can include:
- Develop packaging solutions to protect finished painted components
- Design for transport efficiency
- Perform containerization analysis, testing, and quoting
- Validate new packaging and containers during pilot phase
- Coordinate with operations for storage and ergonomic considerations
- Develop kitting packaging
- Validate returnable quantities through simulations
- Resolve safety and / or quality issues caused by current packaging
- Resolve issues reported by customers and process partners
- Develop, communicate and maintain supplier packaging requirements
- Audit conformance to packaging specification
- Joint Process Improvement with packaging vendors and purchasing
- Create packaging concepts using 3D modeling software (i.e. Pro-E)
Customers include logistics, operations, facility engineering, quality, purchasing, and other supply chain functional areas. External contacts include global packaging vendors and product suppliers.
Some travel required (up to 25% working time)
- M.Tech Degree (i.e. Packaging, Chemistry, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering) plus 3 years experience or a minimum of 5 years of supply chain or operations experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to perform data query analysis (i.e. SAS, business objects)
- Interpersonal, teamwork, organization, and communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of 6 Sigma project management principles
- Develop and deploy creative/original solutions to complex problems
- Knowledge of material handling equipment
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .