Position – Associate Engineer
Company – Caterpillar
Location – Hosur, Tamil Nadu, IN
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you’re joining a global team that cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Caterpillar Inc. is the world’s leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognized worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability. The Industrial Power Systems Division currently has a new and exciting opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineer. This position works both independently and as part of a team to maintain and improve processes and systems used in manufacturing. In addition, Manufacturing Engineers function as a specialist and subject matter experts for technical planning throughout a manufacturing facility. As a Manufacturing Engineer, you will have an opportunity to provide the technical expertise necessary to design, develop, and implement manufacturing systems, manufacturing operations, and state-of-the-art machines
JOB PURPOSE: To provide expertise in specific areas of the manufacturing process to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective manufacture of products. Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to: This is a staff position which is expected to function as a specialist with respect to a specific technical phase of the manufacturing engineering function and which generally falls within the major areas of releasing, Engine Assembly, Test, Paint processing, assembly processing, layout, work standards, and manufacturing development.
Work assignments may be specialized in nature but may also be broad-based with coordination between other staff personnel to complete a larger project. Incumbents evaluate projects to define desired results and determine logical approaches. Evaluates such factors as cost, personnel yearly usage, equipment, space, etc. as well as other information needed to determine requirements. Prepares feasibility studies for appropriateness and cost-effectiveness and submits recommendations accordingly. Results contribute to effective management decisions in determining the most efficient processes, methods, machinery, tools, equipment, services, and systems needed in the manufacture of products. Adheres to established standards, policies, and practices relating to quality, cost reduction, safety, ergonomics, etc. in performing assigned duties.
Actual work assignments may be typified as follows:
- Projection, evaluation, specification, and acquisition of new or replacement machine tools.
- Analyse tooling failures and evaluate tool characteristics and requirements.
- Plan Factory layouts for effective utilization of space due to rearrangement, new processes, or expansion.
- Determining the need for modern facilities; assembly planning.
- Develop and implement assembly processes in line with CPPD (Concurrent Process and Product Development) and NPI design changes, etc.
- Transition new products from engineering to manufacturing.
- Developing, analyzing, and managing Manufacturing/ Assembly Projects.
- Engaging in creative problem-solving to address operational issues including ergonomic/ safety, efficiency improvements, process bottlenecks, and quality concerns.
- Manage projects to ensure efficient and cost-effective systems and processes to produce quality products.
- Providing the application, procurement, processing, installation, and capability for new equipment. Providing manufacturing technical support in process control and internal certification.
- Coordinating the purchase and application of machine tools, controls, and related equipment to ensure the latest technology is being used to increase efficiency and economy of operations.
- Develop new production methods using lean engineering fundamentals.
- Evaluate projects and prepare feasibility studies to define desired results, assess value propositions, and determine project plans.
- Improve space utilization on the shop floor.
- Develop APQP process documentation (assembly procedures, test procedures, BOMs, process flows, and process FMEAs) in conjunction with a cross-functional team.
- Develop and implement assembly processes in line with Caterpillar standard processes.
- Estimate production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- 3+ years in manufacturing engineering; including Tool design Experience.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to work internally and externally at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate well and work both independently and collaboratively in teams.
- Experience in Tool / Fixture design and Tool / Fixture Manufacturing
- Experience with data collection, data analysis, root cause analysis, and use of metrics.
- Experience with SAP ERP and manufacturing execution systems (MES).
- Knowledge in working with Microsoft Office Skills, Team Center, 3D modeling (Catia / Solid works), and 2D drawing in Autocad
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical manufacturing processing, including assembly and testing.
- Experience in engine assembly processes
- Experience in CREO and AutoCAD.
- Basic knowledge of Lean Manufacturing & Continuous Improvement principles & techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing concepts with emphasis in engine assembly, engine testing, and paint processes.
- Launch experience in Automotive or Engine Assembly.
- Experience in Leak testing and torque Tools is preferred.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO)
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.