Position – Lead Engineer – General Studies
Company – ALSTOM
Location – Hyderabad, Telangana, IN
Alstom develops and offers mobility solutions that provide the sustainable foundations for the future of transportation, guiding society toward a low-carbon future. Our product offer includes everything from high-speed trains to metros, monorails, and trams, as well as integrated systems, customized services, infrastructure, signaling, and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a caring, responsible, and innovative company where over 70,000 people worldwide are leading the path to greener and smarter mobility.
We develop smart ideas to address today’s and tomorrow’s mobility concerns. We develop and build everything from high-speed trains to electric buses and driverless trains, as well as infrastructure, signaling, and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means becoming part of a genuinely global community of over 75 000 people who are dedicated to solving real-world mobility challenges and achieving international projects with sustainable local impact.
Job Title: Mechanical Lead Engineer – General Studies / Train Architecture Engineer (TAE)
We are searching for Mechanical Lead Engineer in General studies for our department Train design, and more especially for our team “General Studies”. The Domain Leader of the General Studies Team leads the team functionally. You will interact with a wide spectrum of professions.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Manage general studies (gauge, weight, infrastructure interface)
- Define volume allocations for Carbodyshell, bogie, traction and train layout equipment’s
Organization structure (job belongs to..) :
Reports directly to: General Studies Domain Leader
Other reporting to: Train Design Engineer / Train Architecture Manager (TAM)
Direct reports: None
Network & Links: Internal
- Train level and Subsystem Managers
- SBS Sub-Syst. Leaders (SSL) & Mechanical lead Engineers (MLE)
- Weight & Balance Lead Engineer
- General Studies CAD
External: Customer and external authority upon delegation of Chief of Development
- General research piloting (Gauge, Weight, Infrastructure physical interfaces)
- Defining volume allocation for Carbody shell; bogie; traction and train layout equipment, taking into account (outputs of his scope); operation key dimensions (passengers, crew, maintenance); carry over; component performance.
- Personally, assumes command (R of RACI) – (See AVVA and Train level RACI for details)
- GS Layout and computation note management; TRS
- M2 DR-DMT-related tasks; FBS Design Reviews; GS KPI
Has Authority to
- Define his scope’s dimensional and weight restrictions.
- Examine SBS activities and deliverables in relation to weight limits (SBS consolidate Supplier component weight)
- Accept the need with SSL; SBS MLE; Train Design métier Domain leaders, following TAM delegation
Performance is measured vs:
- His perimeter’s additional value and reusability for future developments:
- Performance in general investigations (generated variety, number of passengers, train weight per passenger, etc.)
- Updating calculation notes and according to guidelines (hypothesis, traceability)
- Management decisions and dashboard utility (incl. visibility of tension on transversal performances & volume allocation)
- Activities and deliverables: SBS specification clarity and uniformity
MAIN REQUIRED COMPETENCES
- Graduated from Mechanical Engineering school with Bachelor of Science degree
- International / Multicultural background
- For at least two years, mechanical integration at the final product level
- Mechanical engineering in the transportation industry
- Transportation authorities’ norms, rules, and regulations are used.
- Mechanical engineering preferably applied to railway products (3-4 years’ experience)
- Knowledge and practice in design V cycle, design to cost and design to manufacturability
Competencies & Skills
- Weight management
- Functional dimensioning
- 3D/2D model design
- Design to cost
- Mechanical integration
- with a hands-on approach that is structured and organized
- Sense of urgency/importance
- Time management and report writing abilities
- Management of a multidisciplinary team
- Good interpersonal and communication abilities, including with third parties (Customers)
Alstom is the industry leader in mobility, tackling the most intriguing challenges for tomorrow’s mobility. That is why we value curious and inventive individuals who are committed to working together to revolutionize mobility, making it smarter and more sustainable. Every day, we work to create an agile, inclusive, and responsible culture in which a diverse collection of people are given opportunities to learn, grow, and advance in their careers across functions and geographic locations. Are you ready to join a genuinely global community of amazing individuals on a challenging journey with a real effect and purpose?
Equal opportunity statement:
Alstom is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to establishing a welcoming workplace where all employees are encouraged to attain their full potential and individual differences are valued and respected. All competent applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, or any other protected characteristic under local law.