Position – Engineer II (Sr. Design Engineer)
Company – Johnson Controls
Location – Pune, Maharashtra, IN
The Engineer will work in the Sustaining & VAVE (Value Analysis / Value Engineering) team that is part of the Unitary Products Group Ducted Systems for JCI.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
This position will create value for JCI stakeholders by implementing various cost, product, and process improvements to light commercial HVAC systems through the application of proven engineering principles. Potential cost improvements will be identified by working closely with the Global team and performing regular VAVE benchmarking events. Potential product and process improvements will be identified by working closely with the Service, Manufacturing, and Quality teams.
This position will evaluate prospective improvements prior to their implementation using life cycle testing and field testing to ensure both an increase in product performance and reliability. This position will also be expected to lead smaller scale projects and support larger scale projects under the guidance of both the Senior Engineer and Engineering Manager.
HOW YOU WILL DO IT:
Follow established procedures and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner to ensure that improvement objectives are met.
Generate cost improvement proposals through regular VAVE benchmarking events.
Work closely with the Procurement team to qualify alternate suppliers and/or components.
Prioritize all proposals based on anticipated savings, improvement potential, and implementation time. Implement viable proposals according to the assigned priority using the engineering change process.
Provide technical direction and guidance to designers, model makers, technicians, and/or programmers to ensure timely implementation of improvement proposals.
Track and report progress on key metrics such as cost, reliability, and warranty improvements to internal customers, external customers, and upper management.
Participate in design reviews for all new product launches to ensure the implementation of previous Lessons learned and the application of any new product and/or process improvements.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Master’s degree in Thermal Engineering or bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-8 years’ experience working with Refrigeration product or system design in a manufacturing environment.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in VAVE/Product benchmarking.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a Global team environment.
- Self-motivated with a determination to exceed project objectives.
- Ability to organize and manage simultaneous tasks and projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills; effective and professional communication.
- Ability to make decisions quickly to maintain project schedules.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and environments.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft Windows operating system in conjunction with the following Microsoft Office modules: Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, and Word.
- Familiarity with light commercial HVAC equipment including Roof top units, air handlers, indoor coils – RTPF & MCHX, condensing units, heat pumps, gas furnaces, and their associated components selection.
- Familiarity with industry standards including AHRI, ASHRAE, DOE, EPA, NEC, UL/CSA, etc.
- Experience in the HVAC system Psychrometric testing environment.
- Experience in a manufacturing or production environment.
- Formal training in VAVE or benchmarking analysis.