Lead Engineer – Product Definition
Company – GE Power Conversion
Experience – 5-10 years
Location – Chennai
Essential Responsibilities :
The Lead Detailed Design Engineer develops practical and innovative ways to identify and meet goals. In this role you are responsible for work that is less defined in scope, utilize understanding and experience to execute business objectives, and have the ability to effect short-term and some long-term business goals.
- Experience in the design and development of large rotating machines, preferably motor and generators.
- Lead in engineering practices and business improvements initiatives within the group in cooperation with the management team
- The root cause analysis and implement corrective and preventive action
- Construct 3D & 2D contractual drawings
- Perform analytical mechanical calculations
- Construct 3D models and the associated 2D component and assembly drawings for procurement and the manufacture of machines
- Initiate, populate and manage BOM’s working closely with the procurement and manufacturing team
- Work closely with electro-mechanical teams to optimize the overall solution.
- Understand various standards relevant to the design of motor/generator as per NEMA/API/IEC ABS/ANSI/CSA/DIN/DNV/Lloyds/Ex standards.
- Identify opportunities for development, cost down, VALVE, and IP generation.
- Support New Product Introduction (NPI) projects
- Collaborate with other global manufacturing sites.
- Support knowledge management process by mentoring / training.
Role Summary/Purpose :
Based at GE Power Conversion Chennai site the Lead Detailed Design Engineer’s role is an exciting opportunity for an action-oriented individual to provide detailed design expertise for high power, large motors, and generators.
- Masters/ Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- 5 – 10 years of relevant experience
- Experience in the design of rotating machines.
- Experience in using CREO, TeamCenter & Pack office
- Writing, Reading and Verbal English Fluency required.
- Ability to read and write technical specifications.
- Ability to translate and interpret BOM into orders and parts.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required.
Desired Characteristics :
- Design of large Electrical rotating machines such as Induction, Synchronous DFIG, PMG machines.
- Prior experience with SAP or similar ERP systems.
- Experience in using Six Sigma tools for continuous improvement.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to design, sell and implement process improvements.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of French language
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proactive self-starter and change agent & ability to work under stress environment.
- Cross-functional, ability to work on a matrix environment, and international team experience.
- Effectively communicate across all organizational levels, departments, and functions.
- Proven project management and process improvement skills.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and business acumen.