Position – Lead Engineer – Product Structure & Analysis
Company – GE Renewable Energy
Location – Bengaluru, Karnataka
Job Description Summary
As Lead Engineer, you will lead product structure design & analysis of composite wind turbine blades in cross-functional collaboration with Project managers, Structure Design & Analysis Engineers, Process engineers, Product definition engineers and others. In this role, you will utilize your experience to independently execute structure design & FEA from conceptual ideas to realization into product by fulfilling all internal and regulatory compliance requirements. Further, as Lead Engineer you are expected to provide guidance and coaching to young engineers on design methodologies and task execution.
- Own structure design & analysis for NPI project and develop design solutions that are competitive in performance, cost and quality.
- Partner closely with technical account manager and/or project manager to deliver on structure design & FEA activities within stringent timeline from predesign phase to implementation in factory.
- Coordinate within SD & FEA team on design iterations to ensure all certification and internal design criterions are met for the final structure.
- Define efficient strategy to achieve final blade structure with minimum execution time by minimizing number of design iterations & eliminating non-value-added FE analysis iterations.
- Develop Lean mindset and drive Kaizen culture for self and others to improve delivery efficiency for the blade structure design & analysis function.
- Upfront identify key design risks and propose adequate mitigation plan through detailed DFMEA for the project.
- Work closely with detailed designer, process engineers etc. to identify and correct any blade structure related potential obstacles to manufacturing. Proactively support blade start-up and ramp-up in production on blade structure related queries and issues resolution.
- Collaborate with test and validation centre of excellence and perform Test to FE correlation by ensuring all regulatory compliance and internal test requirements are achieved
- Participate in technical discussions/meetings related to blade structure with customers and/or certification bodies and represent LM
- Lead and/or participate as a presenter and/or reviewer in structure design review. Review blade structural reports related to design and analysis for self & others.
- Lead root cause analysis of field failures and identify design related corrective actions to prevent recurrence
- Provide guidance and coaching to young engineers of structure design team and enable them to efficiently execute assigned tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace or Civil Structural Engineering from a reputed university
- 8-12 years of experience in a mechanical structural design engineering position
- 5+ years of experience in composite material structural design and analysis using ABAQUS/PATRAN preferably in wind turbine rotor blade.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Global experience with proven ability to work with international and/or cross-functional teams across cultural boundaries
- Fluent in English, Verbal & Written
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace or Civil Engineering with specialization in Structural stream from a reputed university
- Solid background in mechanical design with sound engineering fundamentals
- Willingness to adapt and explore LM inhouse blade design tools and processes
- Proficient in structural finite element analysis using ABAQUS/ANSYS with focus on results interpretation and efficient design changes to achieve desired outcome
- Familiarity with GD&T, 2D Drawings, Teamcenter, Work Instructions with good understanding of Product Lifecycle Management
- Knowledge of wind turbine rotor blade full scale manufacturing and component level process trials
- Exposure of wind turbine rotor blade full scale test and coupon/sub-article tests
- Ability and willingness to challenge legacy design processes, safety factors, materials to drive LM forward
- Proactive, self-motivated and innovative in approach with focus on possibilities rather than limitations
- Willingness to travel (domestic/international) at short notice for around 10% of time
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes