Cummins Inc. is Hiring | Product Engineer |
Position – Product Engineer
Company – Cummins Inc.
Location – Pune, Maharashtra, IN
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today’s most innovative thinkers to solve the world’s toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
- This product-focused position applies specialized knowledge of engineering principles and design practices to create optimized design concepts and mechanical design specifications considering the application, cost, weight, performance, reliability, durability, manufacturing, assembly, and serviceability. This role effectively communicates the capability of a design concept to meet cross-functional requirements including assessment of alternative and competitive design concepts and works effectively across cross-functional disciplines to develop corporate and customer requirements including those required to resolve product issues.
- Obtains input and leads the negotiation with cross-functional and cross-discipline technical experts and senior-level designers to communicate the component and subsystem design intent through a thorough Design Review package to the Product Preceding Technology, (PPT), Value Package Introduction (VPI), or Value Package Change Request (VPCR) team requiring such holistic assessment of various design concepts.
- Leads the design decision-making in the areas of component and subsystem design concept selection, concept optimization, and design specifications that impact customers targeted to be served by a given Product Preceding Technology, (PPT), Value Package Introduction (VPI), or Value Package Change Request (VPCR) initiative.
- Applies and leads the execution of processes such as Critical Design Decisions, System Design and Validation Consideration Checklist, Design Review and tools such as iDFMEA, DVA, GD&T, CREO, ANSYS Workbench required to enable high-quality subsystem-level design decision-making and design refinement.
- Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems, or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
- Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
- Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
- Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
- Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
- Operates as a recognized specialist in a discipline or product area within the immediate team.
Cross-Functional Design Integration – Translates the value package requirements that include the voices of many stakeholders into virtual designs, and communicates the capability of the design through an approved cross-functional design review.
Mechanical Design of Mechanical Systems – Acquires and applies an in-depth understanding of mechanical systems through working knowledge that guides a designer’s ability to create innovative and sound design concepts to meet Cummins and customer expectations; designs for requirements of all lifecycle stages by considering the customer requirements in different operating environments to ensure a robust system.
Mechanical Design Modeling and Analysis – Creates Computer Aided Design models in accordance with Cummins’ standards to represent architectural or product-level system design concepts, and to enable completion of various system-level computer analyses such as Dimensional Variation Analysis and Finite Element Analysis.
Product Problem Solving – Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
System Requirements Engineering – Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Product Platform Planning and Architecting – Creates and develops a holistic product platform including key architectural feature and function variants needed to align with market level product plans of future target markets; generates alternative architectures traceable to the requirements and performs trade-off analysis in collaboration with life-cycle stakeholders to ensure a balanced and optimum platform; communicates and maintains traceable information and plans executed by product development teams.
- Decision quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Drives results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Communicates effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Builds networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Resourcefulness – Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Manages complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- College, university, or equivalent Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required.
- This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem-solving and quality decision-making. Knowledge of MS Office and CREO tools is preferred.
This role is towards component ownership in the power cylinder system for VPI programs like pistons, rings, crankshafts, dampers, and con-rods. Needs to have good experience in design and validation activities, supplier interactions, and a good understanding of dimensioning and tolerancing. like Prior experience in the design and validation of power cylinder components will be an added advantage. User-level proficiency in CREO is needed, but extensive CAD modeling will not be expected.
Primary Location India-Maharashtra-Pune-India, Pune, Cummins Technical Center India
Job Type Experienced – Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt – Experienced
Job Posting Feb 24, 2023, 1:30:00 PM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Organization Engine Business
Req ID: 230000N4
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.