Position – Manufacturing Engineer
Company – Caterpillar
Location – Chennai, Tamil Nadu, IN
This is not the official job description or a list of its essential job functions, but a general guide to this role available at Caterpillar.
To develop and maintain sales model product compatibility in the SAP-based business process. SAP supports the worldwide sales of Machines. This is a highly Variant Configurator position for an experienced individual contributing to assignments that are complex and challenging and begin to become strategic in nature.
The position requires thorough, detailed knowledge of company products and product applications. A detailed understanding of SAP is essential. Must have analytical ability and initiative, be results-oriented, and have strong written and verbal communication skills. Written and spoken fluency in English is a requirement, other languages are also an asset. Three months of training and on-the-job experience as a Variant Configurator Analyst are typically required. The position typically requires a four-year college degree in the Mechanical/Production/Manufacturing stream. In addition, three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible job-related experience and previous experience as a Variant Configuration Analyst is required. Incumbent initiates communication with others outside the immediate work group to work on new ideas and counsel others. The ability to listen and guide others is critical to the success of this job. The incumbent must have multiple application experiences or equivalent work knowledge.
- The incumbent has considerable Machine business and Variant Configuration (VC) experience.
The key responsibilities of this assignment are:
- Comply with standards developed by Technical Analyst for a product configuration in SAP.
- Develop/maintain sales model product compatibility in SAP.
- Participate in New Product Introduction (NPI) groups, and create compatibility with all NPI products.
- Interact with Engineering personnel to ascertain accurate and clearly defined feature or part number compatibility.
- Interact with Pricing personnel to ensure the feature code assignment is accurate and coordinated with the Pricing condition entry setup in the SAP system.
- Meet regular schedules for introducing the product compatibility changes to External/internal users relying on the configuration to meet their ordering needs.
- Provide timely response to Local Change Coordinators / Material Master Owners in coordinating changes resulting from Bill of Material synchronization and other engineering change notices.
- Participate with team members to develop standards for the feature presentation of product compatibility. The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others.
Typical internal customers include various contacts throughout Caterpillar worldwide and its subsidiaries. These contacts include engineering, Product Group, Pricing, and NPI groups. The position is challenging to carefully evaluate problems and review many possible solutions before selecting one option. Problems may be complex and can require the incumbent to develop solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. Impacts key quality goals, including Customer Satisfaction, Continuous Improvement, Timeliness, Accuracy, Efficiency, Cost Savings, Process Quality, etc. The position changes the way work is performed to meet quality goals for the measures stated. Relocation is available for this position.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).